Saturday, April 18, 2009

Endorsement of the Week: The Week

One Magazine Worth Subscribing To If You Really Need To Feel The Print Between Your Fingers

What if you could get all the relevant news that you need to know, like how TARP is being spent or who is winning the Minnesota Senate race, from one source. Now add stories about entertainment, food, international news, finance, books, people, music, art, and real estate and you have, The Week. They have cut and pasted news and editorial from newspapers and magazines across the world into one place. In the words of the magazine, "The Week Distills The Best Of U.S. And Foreign Press Into 44 Pages." I know that news on the web is more practical but, I like to have a hard copy because I can't read my laptop while driving...




I was first introduced to The Week about two years ago, I found it in the back seat of a friend's car while riding to a baseball game. He described it as Cliff's Notes for current events. Now I get ideas for the books I read (The Next Hundred Years by George Friedman) and the movies I watch (Adventureland) from The Week.

The Week is very thin and readable, no article is more than two pages, most under a page. I subscribed about six months ago for $50 so that I could catch up on current events have dinner conversation fodder at interviews. My roommates got hooked on it too during their interviews. Beats the hell out of re-reading the same issue of Southwest's Spirit Magazine every weekend.

When I think of all the other things I spend a dollar a week on, like Red Box, this is nothing. In fact, around the holidays they offer you can renew your subscription and get an extra subscription for a friend for only $1. Good thing my Dad doesn't read this because that's what I'm going to get him for Christmas next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment