Saturday, April 25, 2009

R.I.P iBook 8/20/2005-4/25/2009

My laptop died today.

I went to Starbucks to write a new post for today. I was thinking about blogging that I dislike Mike Galanos from CNN because he oversimplifies everything in a way that would invoke a lot of agreement from the uninformed.

I plugged in my computer, the fan spun, no boot chime. Unplugged, replugged, battery change, nothing. Went to the Apple store and they had one Genius Bar appointment left. It was DOA. The logicboard is the problem. Repair cost $799. I only paid $899 to start with. It was really on its last limb, but I was trying to make it till residency when I can use my education fund to buy a new Mac.

I am going to take it apart and sell it for parts on eBay. They gave me the number of a funeral home that will help me extract the hard drive and give it an enclosure so that I can retrieve my data.

My options
1. Buy a new iBook $950 with student discount.
2. Buy a cheap refurbished Windows PC laptop for <$500.
3. Buy a new computer now, then try to get reimbursed for another one next year and then sell it.
4. Online, I can buy a pre-owned refurbished iBook a notch below the one I currently have. $269. I am thinking at this point it is my cheapest choice and keeps me in the family. I can always upgrade later when I have a "book" fund.

I am reluctant to leave the Mac family even temporarily. Not sure how I am going to get my iTunes sorted out. I am writing this from school, but, they blocked Facebook and Twitter, so expect my productivity to increase dramatically.

I am fortunate that this is my only big problem in life at the moment.

Thank you
-McBrandon

3 comments:

  1. i'm sorry to hear about your laptop. i'm sure you will find a nice refurb one to use in the meantime before you get funds to get it. my laptop battery is running on the last leg and i will be purchasing another one to keep my laptop working for as long as i can...

    stay in the apple family.
    xoxox

    see you in a few week.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do something rash... wait 60 days and get a real mac....
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/04/27/road-tested-why-the-hackb00k-is-a-fail/

    CDD

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about your laptop. i'm sure you will find a nice refurb one to use in the meantime before you get funds to get it. my laptop battery is running on the last leg and i will be purchasing another one to keep my laptop working for as long as i can...

    ReplyDelete