Friday, May 1, 2009

Endorsement of the Week: Mint.com

Sorry for the string of unfunny posts but between swine flu and the death of Pontiac, I haven't had a lot of comic inspiration.  

I've never really been much of a trend setter it's still upsetting to find out that I've been missing out on something that everyone else is already enjoying.  So when I find something new that is useful or fun I'm going to share it here with the hopes at least one of you can benefit. A while back I wrote about The Week only to find out someone I talk to everyday was a closet reader.  Today, I started sharing with people how cool I thought Mint.com was, to find out another alleged friend had been holding out.  Ironically, anyone who knows this person would label him as financially irresponsible at best, he knows who he is.  I promise not to do that to you.  This week I'm giving a rose to Mint.com for being simple, free, and attractive personal finance tool.

Given that in two months I'll start working, I've been concerned with money matters and establishing adult habits like budgeting, retirement planning, complaining about taxes, signing up for a health plan, and renting an apartment.  In about 10 minutes, I set up an account on Mint, including credit cards, savings, checking, investment, and student loans to find out that I in July I am worth more dead than alive. (Stafford loans are canceled if you die and my job pays 50k in life insurance for free)

More importantly though, I was able to see with a simple pie chart where my money is coming and going from.  What would have required me to log into six different websites to see, I can view on one page at the same time.  There are two ways that Mint can make you money though.

1.  You can set it up to warn you if suspicious activity is occurring.
2.  It makes you mindful of your spending.
3.  It will present you with offers for better interest rates and lower fees.

Yes it is like Quicken and Money.  But, I tried Quicken, after 30 minutes I gave up, with Mint, after 10, I was a believer.

This is a time of financial hypervigilance and self-consciousness.  If nothing else, it gives you something to do while Facebook loads.  And for iPhone owners, there is an app that sounds as slick as the site.  Mint.com

2 comments:

  1. wow.. you are growing up.. i'm like a few weeks behind you on the whole growing up part. i'm applying for jobs all over and i might start considering places outside the of the states...

    but if it makes you feel any better i'm worth more dead too.. but i think most people are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love mint! :)

    -tb

    ReplyDelete