Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Barney Stinson, You're My Hero

This has been a legendary couple of months for me. Mostly because I've adapted to living outside of my comfort zone. It started back in October with casually acknowledging strangers, exanded in November to holding actual conversations with random cuties, and blew up in 2009. Anyways, last night was Monday night, I met up with an old friend, Tim, we caught up and he told me he had a blog, which I fully expect him to link mine in. That reminded me that I also had a blog, but ever since I bounced from Florida to Phoenix back to California, I haven't had anything awe inspring to write about. I mean I suppose I could have written about the Super Bowl but I think that has been done. Everyone is disapointed for the Cardinals and Kurt Warner, yes they are 2nd only to the Cubs as the professional sports franchise with the longest championship draught but, then I remember how they make more money PLAYING football then I will ever see, and then I don't feel sorry for them anymore. Besides, I was just in Phoenix and the town didn't seem to give a fuck. Pittsburgh is another story, the Steeler's fans, those mofos were setting cars on fire after they won, imagine how many people would have died if they had lost.
I can write about Tim anytime, but Monday nights at 830ET/730CT on CBS is when How I Met Your Mother comes on. I've been religously watching the show a little over a year now thanks to my buddy Kevin. This show is so singularly meaningful that I have almost nothing in common with anyone who doesn't also watch. I usually only get this passionate about movies, in fact, there is no other show I watch on tv (I'm not counting re-runs of Family Guy on adult swim). HIMYM is in its fourth season. It is as far as I can tell, the 21st century version of Friends. It is about a group of yuppie friends, two of whom are married to each other (Chandler/Monica = Marshall/Lily), one of which bangs a lot of chicks (Joey = Barney) that have palacial apartments in New York City. The premise of the show is that, the main character Ted recounting to his teenage children, tales about him and his friends from the time when he was 26 until he meets their mother, a yet to be determined date later. Initially, I only agreed to watch the show because it co-stars, Neil Patrick Harris a.k.a. Doogie Howser, M.D., my first role model. However, it is easy to become quickly enamoured with the lives of all the characters. Cleverly written, the show frequently exploits flashbacks to tie apparently insignificant details from one episode to another.
The show is a gem, it gives me faith that the sitcom is not dead, that respectable television still exists amongst the sewage of Survivor and I Love New York 2. A proud owner of the first three seasons on DVD, I have done everything I can to convert all of my acquaintances into HIMYM fanatics. I know at least one if not the only person reading this blog is a fan. Tonights episode was average but, it beats the shit out of American Idol.

So what was your favorite Super Bowl spot?
Mine was a tossup between Conan doing the commercials for Finland and the Doritos guy throwing a snowglobe at his boss' nards.

No comments:

Post a Comment